From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Tom
Kirby
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:24 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] What's with horror/sci-fi prices?

Bruce - what do you base this on? $90K for Black Cat half sheet?  Attack
of the 50ft Woman 3sh $21.5K?  Cabinet of Dr Caligari lobby for $21.5K
etc.  Seem pretty healthy to be me.  I suppose the Raven 1sh 'only' went
for $44K, near the low estimate, but that is one ugly poster, with the
book taking up most of it.  I've just had a quick glance at the horror
section and most pieces seem to have realised prices in the upper end of
the estimate if not above.

When it comes to the Universal horror stuff, aren't the high prices
simply case of supply vs demand?

Tom

Bruce Hershenson wrote:
> I just had a chance to glance over the Heritage results, and, as usual
there were around a dozen unbelievable knock-your-socks-off high prices, and
also a bunch of "better" results, and they are to be congratulated. But it
sure seems to jump out at me that the once "invincible" horror/sci-fi genre
was looking pretty puny!

> This is in no way a "bash Heritage" post, as there is every reason to think
I (or any other dealer or auction house) might have realized the same or
lower prices on most or all of these.

> But I can't believe this is just my imagination! Do others of you agree
with me, and if so, why do you think this is? Is it a one-time phenomenon, or
is horror finally beginning the slow decline that has afflicted so many other
once "hot" categories?

> While I personally love the top horror/sci-fi titles, the prices HAVE
seemed "out of whack" to me for some time (after all, for the price of a
single 1930s Universal one-sheet, you can have an entire COLLECTION in most
other genres!).