To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:05 AM
Subject: [MOPO] What's with horror/sci-fi prices?

I just had a chance to glance over the Heritage results, and, as usual there were around a dozen unbelievable knock-your-socks-off high prices, and also a bunch of "better" results, and they are to be congratulated. But it sure seems to jump out at me that the once "invincible" horror/sci-fi genre was looking pretty puny!

This is in no way a "bash Heritage" post, as there is every reason to think I (or any other dealer or auction house) might have realized the same or lower prices on most or all of these.

But I can't believe this is just my imagination! Do others of you agree with me, and if so, why do you think this is? Is it a one-time phenomenon, or is horror finally beginning the slow decline that has afflicted so many other once "hot" categories?

While I personally love the top horror/sci-fi titles, the prices HAVE seemed "out of whack" to me for some time (after all, for the price of a single 1930s Universal one-sheet, you can have an entire COLLECTION in most other genres!).

What do YOU feel?

Bruce