Hi from Joe B in New Orleans.

  I think Greg has an excellent point here.  Some remakes make it some don't .
  But all can inspire those who've never seen the originals to look back. Some
can be clever modern updates like the recent "Disturbia"-- no "Rear Window" but
lots of fun and well-done.  Some can be misfires like the current
box-office-bomb remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with Nicole Kidman.

  I remember reading a year or so ago that Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) had
just seen his first black-and-white film (it was the Lumet/Fonda "12 Angry
Men"-- not a remake, but so what).  He also said it was the "BEST film I've
ever seen."
  So there's hope!

  Joe B

  PS-- The second anniversary of Hurrican Katrina is upon us in a few hours.
Please take a moment to remember that great tragedy, those who lost their
lives, those who survived but lost much if not all, and those who helped us get
through it as we move on.
  Thanks to all who helped--- even if only with prayers and encouragement!

  Joe Bonelli in "The Big Easy"-- New Orleans, LA USA

jbirddouglass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I think we film-loving types tend to get a little overly protective of
our beloved classics. While I question the casting of Keanu as Klaatu
(although their names sound like they're from the same planet), an
updated version of DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL could be great in the right
hands. I've enjoyed a lot of the remakes,especially WAR OF THE WORLDS
and KING KONG. The good thing about remakes is that it spikes interest
in the originals. Some of my teenaged students ended up renting, and
thoroughly enjoying, the original WAR OF THE WORLDS after being made
aware that it existed There can be a positive trickle-down effect from
all this heresy.
Greg Douglass

> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:08:25 -0700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [MOPO] DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
> To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>
> Invasion of the Body Snatchers was a OK remake. The Fly too.
>

> */franc david Martarella /* wrote:
>
> I think if you can bring a new vision to an older film, maybe
> old chestnuts are worth re-making. I have a problem when one
> attempts to remake a classic that is indelibly imprinted on
> people’s minds and 99% of the time, they don’t come off.
> Remaking a classic in color because younger people won’t watch
> black and white films is not enough of a reason to justify the
> re-do of Manchurian Candidate, those ghastly King Kong remakes
> or even the crappy color versions of Little Women. FRANC

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.