It is a shame that Greenwood's score was denied a nomination on a technicality
that some of his music (not the Brahms or any other previously recorded music
by other artists) had been released on other projects.  His score certainly
played a huge part in the vibe of the film and there wasn't another score out
there, in my mind, that was more memorable or key to the film's ability to
work.
I think the Coens certainly earned their oscar.  It's a shame that TWBB didn't
show up at previous oscars since there have been so many bad years (in the way
of nominees).  The fact that TWBB and NCFOM arrived in the same year and were
both nominated is some kind of miracle.  PTA and the Coens have plenty of films
left in them.
The academy awards should lay off the clip shows if only to avoid reminding the
viewers at home how far Hollywood has fallen from the level of class it once
had and that no matter how bad the stars were behind the scenes they could
carry themselves in a way that was abmirable in public.  In the same vein I
agree that John Stewert, while a funny guy in his own right, is not the right
choice for the Oscars.  But who are we kidding?  The show as a whole is a
disaster because people don't really hold actors or hollywood in the same
esteem it once did.  There is a cynical viewpoint these days and the magic and
allure of Hollywood is, in my opinion, gone and it is the 800 lbs gorilla
lingering in the room casting a huge shadow over their vain attempt to pretend
that the world is still mesmorized by their dog & pony-self-love-athon.  How
many times did we have to hear actors and directors talk about how wonderful
Hollywood is?  Even tired old Jack Nickolson tried to sell us on this!
  idea and it just sounds so creaky.  There is only a thin thread of integrity
left in the oscars.

Still lovin the movies (the few good ones anyway)..
Aaron