colin i guess then it's reasonable to say that by the time people have declared that we are officially in a recession we are already starting to come out of it.
-----MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> wrote: -----

To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
From: CK MacLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Date: 03/29/2008 01:55PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Economy Inflation Recession? How are Sellers doing? HONESTLY!

For me, sales were pretty slow through most of the Winter, then turned up significantly over the last month or so.   On the other hand, I have a small operation that is highly sensitive to the buying decisions of just a few customers - so there's a lot of randomness involved.   I had expected continued improvement to non-Americans taking advantage of the weak dollar, but, to my surprise, most of the upturn was generated by domestic sales.   It may have been coincidence, but some of my best days coincided with big stock market days associated with the recent aggressive moves by the Fed.   Another coincidence:   Just before my little upturn, CNN was rotating a report featuring some major collector-dealer (didn't catch his name) talking up movie posters and comic books as an alternative for investors burned by real estate and stocks!

As for the larger question, usually, by the time everyone is talking about an economic crisis, by the time news outlets are sponsoring special multi-part series on whatever's wrong, by the time politicians are proposing massive and ill-conceived interventions and those who refuse to do so are being chided for heartlessness, by the time demagogues are drooling over their electoral opportunities and viewing negative economic numbers with thinly disguised glee, by the time small cap fund managers are urging their clients to get into commodities, and by the time warnings of truly dire events - Depression, Crash, etc. - are heard in the land from eminent experts, the bad news is already in.   If you're a speculator, it's usually a good time to buy.

Usually.

Colin

CK MacLeod Collectibles at ckmac.com

Kymar's on eBay