Kirby, I used to deliver groceries to Judith Campbell Exner in my first job working at The Balboa Market when I was 14.

I'm not exactly sure of the year but it was right around the height of Judith Exner's notoriety that she had rented a home on the bayfront near the end of the Balboa Peninsula. She was clearly in fear for her life which was apparent when I would arrive with groceries. There I would be met by a ferocious Doberman guard dog and a Body Guard. I would be led in to where I would meet Ms. Campbell Exner inside the home. I recall quite clearly that she was a strikingly handsome woman. I would guess her to be in her early 40's. She was very kind and would make a point to hug me when I left as I had become a fairly regular visitor and from all indications she rarely had many, if any, visitors at all. I can't imagine what she was going through, but there was clearly a sense of fear present even inside, as if this wonderful home was no more than a geographically advantaged prison. The unspoken air about her was one of needing to escape or be rescued. I remember the palpable feeling of anxiety in that house so I once asked her if she was okay. When she reacted, the weight of all that worried her was etched in her wry smile.

JFK had been dead for years. Giancana had just been murdered. And here she was. There was no okay available. There was no unringing this bell.

Patrick

ps: here's a link to this fascinating tale of JFK and Giancana, and the woman they shared. The truth, as in all things, will likely never be known:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1316/is_12_31/ai_58170292