In a message dated 6/27/2008 5:54:57 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

How often we see items for sale on ebay at high prices and we just ignore
them.  I find it rare that a person who lists items high actually obtains  a
sale.  Then we are besieged with "Reduced and Ready", Reduced for quick  sale",
etc.

My immediate reaction is to ignore these listings because most  likely they
will be reduced again and again.

I cannot understand the seller's thinking at all.  If you are  willing to
accept the reduced price, why not start it there and let the  auction play out?

These items just appear over and over again and  the posters end up on the
dead pile as their listings have become so redundant  that people ignore them.

What is your opinion?

I agree with you, Claude!  I feel that it is  really counterproductive for
sellers to list common items on eBay at high  retail, or higher, opening bids.
When I see a listing with an opening  bid of two times, or more, the fair
market price, I automatically close  that sellers offerings.  I just assume
that
EVERY item that seller lists,  is wildly overpriced.  And I remember the seller
ID, and don't bother  checking his future listings.  I simply cannot
understand why someone would  choose to go to the time, trouble, and expense,
of
posting a large group of  listings, and sell only some fraction of those
listings.

Like Bruce and Sean, I prefer to sell EVERY  listing, by using opening bids
of .99 cents, with no reserves.  If I sell a  poster I feel is worth $200 for
$50, I was probably wrong about it's  value.  If not, Bruce taught me long ago,
that that's just great  advertising.

I also shy away from sellers who say their  listings are sold, "as is", "all
sales final", etc.  I  believe that offering an unconditional money back
guarantee, even for  "buyer's remorse", is a smart sales policy.  It's
reassuring
to bidders,  and I've had less than one item returned for every 1000 listings
I've  sold.  (One item that was returned years ago was a rather poor condition
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE 3-sheet, that had sold for about $680.  I restored
it at a cost of $300, relisted it on eBay, and it sold for $1800+ to a very
happy buyer!).

Another thing bothers me about some sellers (and  buyers).  They simply
refuse to extend the courtesy, and take the time, to  post feedback.  One
seller,
mentioned earlier today, is a case in  point.  He has received over 28,000
feedbacks, and has reciprocated by  leaving less than 1,500!

Marty  Davis
Vintage Film Posters
38732 N. 10th Street
Desert Hills, AZ  85086