M's (though not in the Peter Lorre sense ;)

I think you'll find that even a 1 MB size digital file is enough to make a
passable (and salable) poster recreation. I've purchased some reproductions
in an effort to "fill in gaps" in Marx Brothers lobby cards, that I've been
unable to fulfill by other means, though I am never really happy with the
quality of those images and always hope I can upgrade them and just consider
them as nice reference images while I look for a better copy (or original,
as the case may be.)

I absolutely love Heritage Auctions and their website--some of the rarest
posters come across there, however, all of the images are easily accessible
and are 1-4 MB in size. So, essentially every poster you see there, in ever
catalog, can be republished. Many I see on eBay come from there.

Case in point. I had consigned the Steamboat Bill, Jr. tri-tone pressbook
and one of the best Keaton images--only in that book, was on eBay not long
after the poster sold. I continue to check eBay to look for the very few
heralds, stills, and art images that might--just "might"--be by Hirschfeld.
Of course the Keaton pressbook wasn't Hirschfeld, but it was amazing (just
like the film.)

I don't like scanning books, or catalogs, but I have done that with the A
Day at the Races three-sheet with Hirschfeld artwork, as I've never seen it
anywhere else.

I don't think going after sellers will work, too many of them and the prices
are too cheap, not something that will actually tempt a real collector. I
don't know that it hurts the hobby or not?

I have a lot of Marx Brothers posters and images that have not been
published since they first came out and am careful to let them come out only
when the book is published. However, at that point, I know that the book
will be scanned and the images will then be all over the Internet. But, at
least the book will have some "unpublished" (at least hitherto) posters in
it.

But, I "want" all the Hirschfeld images I have to come out soon, regardless
of if the books are scanned or not. The whole point is to enjoy these
images, not suppress them--and with a new generation of movie-goers, maybe
we'll also impress them...

-Daniel...