At 04:51 AM 7/13/2008, Roland Lataille wrote:
I just won a one sheet Cinerama roadshow Circus World poster from Heritage for $60 plus $11.70 for BP. I would say I paid $71.70 for it. I think I got a pretty good deal as I was willing to pay a lot more for it. You don't see this Cinerama roadshow poster on Ebay very often.

Seems to me there's a difference between the "sales price" (i.e. what the
poster sold for) and the cost of acquiring it. If I buy a poster -- or anything
-- from someone in person (or from someone from whom I can pick it up)
there is no shipping fee.  That doesn't mean the item sold for less.  It
means there were no added fees.

While a Buyer's Premium is something I would have to pay if I bought a
poster through an auction house, it is a fee that I need to be willing to pay
but isn't truly part of the poster's "price", no more than sales tax, or money
later spent to fix up, linenback, or frame a poster.  Those may be part of
what I need or want to spend on the poster, but they aren't part of the price.

Frankly, saying it is sounds more like dealers trying to find ways to push up
the price of a poster.  "It sold for $1000 plus a 20% BP, so the real price is
$1200.  Next time, someone should pay $1150 plus a BP of 15% so the
value will be $1440."  It's a fee on a fee on a fee that people are using to
artificially inflate the value.

It is, I'll concede, more accurate to say the *cost* of the poster was the
auction price plus all other expenses incurred.  But that doesn't make it the
value of the poster.

Craig.

Craig Miller        Wolfmill Entertainment          [EMAIL PROTECTED]