I have no idea what HA's policy is on this, but in years gone by and perhaps
HA would like to comment here themselves, other auction houses used to list
their final sale "price"  - and it included BP, sale commission (yes, some have
it going and coming) the cost they charged for the restoration and linen
backing to the consignor (at the ratesTHEY charged for the resto, not the
actual discount rates most auction houses get from the resto business due to
volume of work they give them), the fees that some auction used to (and maybe
still do) for the photography of the item and it's inclusion in a catalogue, et
al, ad nausea.

The final "achieved price" can often appear grossly inflated - especially on
the middle range stuff.

And the obvious reason is simply - it allows any auction house to announce a
"record overall sales total"for the day, and it makes potential consignors look
at the results and perhaps without knowing how that final "achieved price" was
achieved... be attracted to that auction house becuase they seem to get great
"results".

What the consignor gets out of it may be considerably less. If all one has to
do is deduct HA's BP and seller's commission (if they have one)  then one can
see the "final bid price".

The final sale price is the bid price plus BP. One can factor in shipping if
one wants to as the total one "paid" for the piece as well.

There is another side of the coin that might also be worth discussing, however,
and one that makes trawling through old Posterprice Alamanacs fascinating -
knowing or wondering of the prices realised on the auction house listings by
some houses include all thos extraneous add-ons to give a final number.

Phil