Hey Everyone,

Guess I should clarify... I always assume everyone in the movie poster business works in the film industry (perhaps it's only 90% of us).

Yes, you do need money to make a movie! A LOT of money. As I mentioned, there are tens upon tens of thousands of movies made every year (just because someone here is still living in the 1980's, doesn't make it any less true). So, Hollywood has a vast selection in front of them, so they get to pick and choose. It basically comes down to this. They don't want movies, unless they have the following:

1. The proper, Hollywood cookie-cutter story (I won't go into it here, as I'd literally ruin every movie for you from this point forward - let me just say that Hollywood is far, far, far less original than anyone thinks, every movie follows a very exacting pattern from start to finish that 99.99% of viewers don't even realize). 2. Stars. Doesn't matter if they can act, they just have to be somewhat famous.

You can do number 1 on a low budget, somewhat. But, only a few hundred people in the world know the exact pattern and how to use it properly (about 50% of Hollywood writers don't seem to know it). Number 2, however, is impossible on a low budget.

I was at AFM last year. I wasn't selling a movie, so I just got to observe - and everyone was freaking out how nobody was buying anything. All the buyers were doing was going from room to room, asking what stars were in each movie, then turning around and leaving. And, to give you an idea of how many films are made each year... AFM takes over two hotel towers on the beach in LA. Every room in the entire hotel is reserved for a different distributor (we're talking hundreds if not thousands of different movie distributors). Buyers walk room to room and make deals for the movies that are in each room (each distributor has from around half a dozen movies - up to hundreds or thousands - and remember, multiply that buy hundreds of rooms). None of the movies are big budget and none of them are really low budget. They're all mid-level, straight to DVD type fare (the only memorable title being 301 a spoof of 300 - typical of the kind of film at AFM) - not one of the movies being one you will ever hear of again! Just the worst movies ever made (yet, oddly, a lot of them have big stars). Virtually every single one is a movie that you would never watch in a million years. Only a few hundred movies get major releases each year - so the competition is utterly staggering. To give you an idea of just how ridiculous the competition is for lower-budget films - this whole thread should give you an idea! Craig claims to have worked with the best directors in the business for decades - and he can't even comprehend how many movies are truly out there! The numbers are sooooo huge, that he can't even believe it - and that's someone who's in the business! Now, I should point out that AFM is mostly US movies, so they are by no way representative of ALL the movies that are made on Earth (and, as I mentioned, the movies there mostly fall into one thin category of direct to video). And, there are different shows like that all over the world, all year long (so, for instance, if you miss AFM, you go to Cannes instead), so AFM will only have a tiny fraction of all the movies that are available.

So, back to the question at hand... To make a movie, you have to have a crew of at least 20 (preferably closer to 100). You need to rent equipment that costs at least $10 or 20 thousand a day (bare minimum, unless you're shooting on cheap video). You need at least 30 days of shooting. And, if you want a chance at ever selling it, you need stars. But, when you hire stars, all of a sudden your entire production becomes unionized (with the lowest position on set above PA getting $350+ a day).... So, yes, you do need money. You don't need as much as Hollywood spends (unless you're shooting a sci-fi or action movie - there's absolutely no reason why Hollywood dramas should cost $65 million nowadays), but you still need some (preferably $1 mil and up).

And, that's what makes me so frustrated with the system. A $30,000 movie sells for $20 - the exact same price as a $100 million movie. So, people compare your $30K film to Hollywood movies - when there's no way you can compete. Just producing something that's close is quite the coup in itself. How could you ever compete - when they get to spend $5,000 for every $1 you get to spend? Of course your movie's not going to look anywhere as good. It's not a level playing field... I have absolutely no desire to ever work for Hollywood (I've had chances and turned them down). I'd much rather make crappy little indie films for the rest of my life. But, of course, Hollywood has so thoroughly (and illegally) removed all their competition from the marketplace, and the competition is so fierce to begin with, that it's impossible to survive doing indie films (Troma is the ONLY indie film studio to ever survive in this business in the long-run - that should tell you something about the level of competition - every single other indie film studio has gone belly up). So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My indie work is extremely popular (average viewership somewhere between 50 and 100 million), but it doesn't matter because Hollywood crushes all their competition. So, I can't just make indie films like I want (unless I want to lose a lot of money) - and I don't want to go over to Hollywood (as they're one of the most crooked industries in existence). Plus, my preferred genre is NC-17 - and Hollywood has illegally repressed those movies for decades (Hollywood doesn't distribute NC-17 films, yet the keep people who do out of the market - not indirectly but DIRECTLY through the MPAA which is owned and controlled by them - a textbook case of a major anti-trust violation). And, to make matters worse, I have absolutely no desire to make cookie-cutter movies (the only kind Hollywood wants)...

Of course, there will always be movies like Blair Witch and Open Water. But, those are the exceptions to the rule (and everyone forgets that yes, you may have seen Tarnation or El Mariachi that year, but that's the only one of 20,000 movies in the same budget-range that you had even heard of, so you're only seeing the best of the best of the best of the best). And, to make a movie like that, you have to write the script knowing your budget level in advance. All Blair Witch was was 3 kids going into the bush with a camera - no expenses there. Open Water required nothing more than 2 actors and a couple boats (and still that increased the budget into the hundreds of thousands or millions I'm guessing). But, it's hard to write movies like that, as you have to give up all the Hollywood conventions (no stunts, no stars, no cgi, no large crowds, no explosions, etc...). And, when you can't afford to shoot anything exciting, there's a good chance that your movie won't be exciting either...

Whenever a client asks me how much a project will cost, I always say that you can shoot Titanic for $250 million - or you could shoot it for $250,000 (and every level in between). It'll be the exact same movie. The only difference is, the more you spend, the better it gets, bit by bit. The $250K Titanic would be awful (and not an epic). A $5 million Titanic would be pretty bad (and still not an epic). But, the $50 million version may still have won an Oscar... So, it's really more of a range: If you want to make something that can compete with Hollywood - you really need to spend about $5 to 10 million (although, as I said, I could probably do it for around $1 mil. as I'm probably one of the very best directors on Earth at shooting quick and cheap). You don't need nearly as much money as Hollywood to make a good movie - but you do need more than most all indie films have access to...

OK, I guess I've babbled on long enough...

Cheers,

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Michael Tupy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>