Kirby,

  I was working the weather radar at Bergstrom AFB in Austin when Hurricane
Allen hit the Texas coast in 1980. I'll never forget the one tornado that
created so much damage. But there were dozens of smaller ones.

  Your concerns for tornadoes are well founded.

  Good news is that Ike, while strong, is no Allen.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Allen

  He was a bastard, for sure. From the Wiki article:

  In Texas, the storm surge was reported as high as 12 feet (3.7 m) at Port
Mansfield, though it may have been higher because the highest surges occurred
in unpopulated and unmonitored sections of the Texas coast. A peak wind gust of
129 mph (208 km/h) was also measured at Port Mansfield. The storm caused 7
deaths in Texas and 17 in Louisiana (most resulting from the crash of a
helicopter evacuating workers from an offshore platform). Allen spawned several
tornadoes in Texas. One tornado caused $100 million in damage when it hit
Austin, Texas, making it the costliest tropical cyclone-spawned tornado in
recorded history. Overall, however, the storm caused limited damage in the
United States due to its suddenly diminished power and because its highest
tides and winds hit a sparsely-populated portion of the Texas coast.[1]

  One bit of good news resulted from Allen's arrival -- it dumped 10 to 20
inches (510 mm) of rain in south Texas, ending a summer-long drought during the
Heat Wave of 1980.

  Latest NWS forecast has it hitting south of Galveston, as a mid-range Cat 3
(93-113 knots).

  Y'all take care.

    pj

allen day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

            Howdy Curb,

  I agree that inland distance could be a factor, but it is a tough sell to the
folks in Charlotte and environs, as Hugo (1989) blazed thru from the coast,
toppling trees throughout the entire region; (my electrical power was out for 6
days). The laws of supply and demand were never more evident, as chainsaws were
selling for $500+, generators were topping out at $1500.

  A man with a portable stump grinder related to me that he had work scheduled
2+ years in advance.

  Capitalism at it's best (or worst).

  ad