As primarily a buyer I will always ask the seller if they will under-declare
when sending the item here to Australia.
If they say no, no harm nor foul.  And if they clearly state they will not do
so, I either don't purchase from them or factor in what it will cost me when I
make a bid or purchase.

When I do sell, I know some countries charge a customs duty so I will always
ask my buyer if they prefer it under-declared.
This is of course not possible should they want the item fully insured.
I understand that it's not the legal thing to do, but from where I sit, I
really see no harm in it.

I have to echo the observations of others where the items that seem to have
been opened and checked by customs here were the ones with a declaration on
them.  My biggest concern with high value items is it will go "missing" in the
mail.

I once tried to find out how they determined the necessity of customs.
In Australia, I was told even if the parcel was marked a gift, if it were
opened they would still try to determine whether a charge applied.
It basically came down to a very subjective process where the person who was
doing the checking would determine if and what value should be assigned...most
likely someone who knew nothing about what was actually in the parcel.

I once had an issue where I sent some posters out of the country to be
linenbacked.
The value of the backing was what was declared on the parcel.
I had to argue for an hour with a woman at customs that the posters were
already my property, and had already been in the country...why should I have to
pay for their value again?

I don't see any problem with a seller NOT wanting to under-declare.  It is your
choice.
But I also see no problem with a seller who is ok with under declaring.
Each to their own...

Vesna