To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Under-Declaration of Value on International Shipments

Why you may consider to undervalue

As wrong as it sounds there are also good reasons to undervalue when shipping to some countries; one of those reasons is the high cost of bureaucracy. For example, if you live in Mexico you can import items worth up to US$600 without an import broker. But if your go over US$600 you are required to have an import license and to hire an import broker to release your package from customs. An import license takes weeks to obtain (guess who pays for storage for your package wile you get your license if you don´t have one) and import broker´s services are not cheap.

Take for example a movie poster worth US$601 and declared to be worth US$601; In Mexico it pays an import tax of usually 18% (if it is made in the US or Canada it can pass as duty free under NAFTA if it comes with a certificate of origin, but how many sellers know where to find and how to fill a Certificate of Origin) plus a sales tax of 15% (when importing, even if you´re not a reseller, you pay sales taxes in advance). Thus, you´re paying US$198.33 in taxes, plus the import brokers frees, which last time I asked costed about US$120. So far, the movie poster is costing the importer US$919.00 ($601+$198.33+$120). But this is not the worst, if the poster goes trought this process your import broker, who has no idea about how to handle a movie poster, will unpack the item and “packed” it again. Later on, it is likely that customs will also open the package a second time, so your now very expensive, fragile posters gets a second chances of getting
damaged.

But the Mexican example is not the worst, in countries, such as Nicaragua, import taxes and brokers services are requiered for all packages and are even more expensive. Last year, I sent my brother, who lives in Nicarague, some gifts, worth less than US100 (a pair of shoes a DVD movie and two CDs) and he ended up paying about US$80 in taxes and fees to release the package from customs.

I`m sorry for point out that doing the right thing (declaring full value for an item) may not be the best thing always; at least, not for your customers in some countries. It would be a good idea to hear what your costumers have to say about why they want you to undervalue the invoice and make a decision based on each individual case.

Best regards,

Carlos Dueñas