Well, why do more men collect comic books, baseball cards, etc? If we are going
to generalize, then it would might be that men have more expendable income. I
do have more men collectors than woman and many of my men collectors don't like
to let their wives in on how much they spend on the posters. So, I keep my
mouth shut when they come in to frame those posters with their wives in tow.
More and more women, however, are coming into the hobby everyday. That is
evidence for me from the calls I get to order frames for their new collections.
So, the hobby may be changing over the next several years. Remember, more and
more women are not getting married these days, waiting longer to marry or
having separate bank accounts from their significant others.

I have collected movie posters for almost 36 years. I have always loved movies
and artwork and movie posters are a terrific extension of those loves. I do
also collect fine art and find myself being a very visually oriented person in
my collecting tastes. I've never been a clothes or shoes horse. I do like
watches, not particularly jewelry, but even the watches I like are typically
more art deco in style. That may be the key, the visual nature. Most men I know
are very visual, it's in the genes!

I'm sure it could be a myriad of reasons. As mentioned, for me, it does bring
back a fond memory, just as an old song does. But I mostly collect movie
posters from films that were made before I was born. The memory is watching
them on the t.v. when I was little. Even as I sit here now, I can conjure up
those warm, secure feelings of sitting on the floor in front of the black and
white televison on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I don't know if the reasons everyone has already mentioned are gender specific.
I just love seeing the old posters hanging on my wall. Happy holidays everyone.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:50:20 +0000From: animal_ma...@hotmail.comsubject: Re:
[MOPO] what do YOU think is the reason there are far more men than women in
this hobby?To: mop...@sol03.american.edu

  A topic that's been brought up before .... and no doubt, will be raised again
.... and again. As fabulous as shoes are (yes, they truly are!), I'll take
posters over them any day.  Shelly

> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:30:08 -0800> From: m...@vintagemovieart.ca>
> Subject: Re: [MOPO] what do YOU think is the reason there are far more men
> than women in this hobby?> To: mop...@sol03.american.edu> > Men collect movie
> posters. Women collect shoes and purses.> > O'boy are we going to be in hot
> water now. were joking we are joking!!> > dario.> > > McDaniel Kirby wrote:>
> > men are more artistic?> > women are only vessels for childbearing?> > men
> appreciate a good investment?> > women only like to spend their husbands
> money for renovations and > > clothes (for them)?> > men appreciate nostalgia
> because for many of them it harkens back to a > > time before they were
> married?> > women's idea of nostalgia is looking back on their daughter's
> first > > dance recital or their son's first t-ball game?> > men love the
> idea that it irks their wives?> >> > all of these come to mind.> >> > K.> >>
> that movie poster collecting is mostly a male hobby, but I > >> would
> estimate I have between 5% and 10% females among my 30,000 > >> customers,
> and I wonder how many female collectors post here on MoPo.> >>> >> I also
> wonder if any of the females here have an opinion as to WHY > >> there are so
> many more male collectors than female. After all, I see > >> nothing at all
> gender based in this hobby, unlike say baseball cards, > >> where all the
> players are men. There are certainly a lot of movies > >> that appeal more to
> women than men, and I would think a high > >> percentage of movies are
> completely "gender neutral" (appeal equally > >> to men and women).> >>> >>
> So what do YOU think is the reason there are far more men than women > >> in
> this hobby?> >>> >> Thanks!> >>> >> Bruce> >> Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web
> Site at www.filmfan.com> >>
> MOPO-L> > The author of this message is solely responsible for its content.

Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!