Orrrrrr, cut your losses by putting them up for sale, 'as is' and recoup some of your investment from someone else who might want to invest in the restoration. That's right, it's a 'lose/lose' proposition since you'll be upside down on the poster if you have it restored so you'll lose some $$ that way, or you'll likely lose $$ selling the poster as is.

Happy New Year, Evan

Patrick

On Jan 3, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Franc wrote:

$100 worth of work sounds very minimal to me. Bite the bullet. Get an accurate estimate. If they're really in such bad shape, I don't think $100 will do it. Then determine if you think the posters are worth it and if not, junk them. An alterative is just get them backed without retouching, since the retouching is the most expensive part. Then find an art student to paint over the defects. FRANC
-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@sol03.american.edu] On Behalf Of Evan Zweifel
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:44 PM
To: mop...@sol03.american.edu
Subject: [MOPO] Needing Linen Backing -- Posters in abysmal condition

A question.

What do people do with posters which are in dire need of more restoration that the poster is worth? I have serveral nice posters worth about $100 which I paid about $100 for which need about $100 (at least) of work (including backing). I am not sure what to do with them, as they are really not displayable in their current state. I hate to throw them away, but I really don't feel like throwing more money at them -- is there some sort of poster rescue?

Evan