it was the shirt I bet Scott... when you wear a shirt that says " Im made outta Money" dont be surprised no dealer budges on price....

Today my shirt said...." will move your heavy 18800s saloon bars FREE ask me" Stooges moving works inc

well today I had a fun one..... My son and I attended a auction of a 1880s cowboy town in michigan

some old Guy and his son had bought seeverl salloon bars ( heavey wood ones)... the old guy asked..

" hey are you work for hire?" My son had on sandals and said not really...... me I thought well

if he flips me a 5- 10 it could help pay lunch for me and son.... so I moved 3 9 foot 1880 saloon Bars into

the trailer.... Luckily Ive started to excercise and just bought a set of YORK 1955 vintage iron barbells at
a garage sale yesterday..

So after lugging the backbars... I said well is that it..? they said yeah Thanks... and dint offer me a Nickel...

I didnt ask then as I thought oh well..... My son and I had a great discussion on how people should treat others..

I didnt mind helping someone out as many people help us without reciprocation... But it was wierd they didnt offer after he initially said work for hire.
and My back is strained...  hahah  :)    It was a wierd experiance

Scott Burns wrote:

I've been attending Cinevent for many years and have bought a lot of movie paper during that time. But I had the strangest experience this year. (and no I don't mean sticky carpet or smelly hallways...sorry Franc!)

None of the dealers I bought from were willing to haggle. Not one penny. No matter how many pieces I was buying.

I was buying a small number of lobby cards, nothing overly spectacular but all in reasonably good condition, totally $42 as marked. I asked the guy if he'd take $40 thinking it would be no problem (and I had no singles in my wallet anyway.) He said no. His prices were already low enough he said. Hand over the 42 bucks.

Same thing at another table. "Sorry, but what I have marked is what I want," said the dealer as he assured me he could easily sell the item at that price to someone else. Even the DVD sellers normally give you a break if you buy several. None I dealt with would do that this year.

I thought threatening to walk away would help. It didn't.

Bad economy? Dealers needing every single dollar just to make it? Did I wear the wrong shirt? Don't you know I run MoPo and I can say bad things about you? :)

All I know is that it was a first for me at Cinevent. Haggling has always been part of the fun! It must be gone for the duration of the recession.

Scott
MoPo List Owner (a title that means absolutely nothing to Cinevent dealers...)