Thank you for sharing this with us, Sue.

Shelly

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:04:18 +0000
From: filmfantast...@msn.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] RIP David Carradine
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Hello all,

     I was saddened to hear the news of David's passing. I thought I would
share this story with all of you. I know he had a weird crazy sort of image,
and that he often was, but he was also a very sweet guy. I first met him when I
was 11 years old. My Dad was his tax accountant. David was doing a t.v. show at
the time, "Shane" and he would come into my Dad's office in full western
attire. My Dad's office has alot of celebrity clients and they would often have
their appointments on Sunday when the office was theortetically closed. I use
to go with my Dad to the office and play on the adding machines. I had to sit
at a back desk and be fairly quiet. So, I'd pretend I was a tax accountant
adding up all my deductions!!  My Dad had alot of "Sunday" clients, but David
scared the heck of me. I remember thinking he was so weird and this was the
60's when everything was weird, except my very conservative household. The
first year I met him, David came to the office several times to get all the
records in order to do his tax return. As my Dad sat banging away on the adding
machine, David would sit in his chair twirling his guns (props from the show).
Occassionally he would jump out of the chair and shoot some phantom bad guy.
So, that scared me. One day he "mosied" on back to talk to me. He said
something like "how ya doin' little lady". I could barely speak. A few weeks
later, back in the office, still in his western costume (no pun intended), he
came back to see me and pulled something from his pocket. It was "love beads"
necklace and he put it around my neck, tipped his hat and walked back to my
Dad's desk. I still have that necklace. Now I know how he got Barbara Hershey,
who was quite a beauty at the time and had a t.v show of her own on, "The
Monroes".

      I have seen him through the years. A couple of times at the studios and
several times at poster shows. I have a friend of mine who was really good
friends with him and travelled with him extensively over the past 5 years to
shows, etc. David came to my shop last year to do a whole bunch of framing for
an art show he was having here in town. As my friend had already reminded him
of who I was, he came in, gave a hug and asked how my Dad was. I pulled the
beaded necklace from my pocket and he couldn't believe I still had it. I told
him that he was so crazy to me when I was a kid, but the necklace was just the
right touch for me to see him in a different light. I am so sad by the method
of death he chose. Last I saw him, he was so upbeat about the upcoming art show
and all the projects he had lined up. He must have called his wife three times
from my shop that day and always ended with "love you". He was kind man, crazy
still, but very kind.

Sue