I'm guessing that "Fake" card number 8 is not a Photoshop job. Jeff says he acquired the card in 1982/1983, yet Photoshop was released around 1990. Secondly, almost all Photoshop users would have done a much better job of extending the photo. The left side of the cad is very odd in that the light panel joggles down but the table edge joggles up.

I don't know if it's fake or not. I just don't think it was done on Photoshop.

-rk

On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:44 AM, Walton, Jeffrey wrote:

Sean

I’m curious on how exactly you came to this conclusion based on the two set comparison?

Reason I’m questioning is that my Alien lobby card set was the second or third acquirement into my collection. It was given to me by a friend who managed a theater. He had about 10 sets he saved but I only took the Alien set since this was in my genre and it was the first “R” rated film that I saw –ahh the memories. Most of the cards are very clean with the exception of two that have multiple pin holes – he said he only used to hang the best cards of a set. My set was acquired around 1982/83. My #8 card is how you described “FAKE” And only this one stands out as being different. I highly doubt that this is a repro set, given the source and the timeframe…and that it is only one card that differs. But if one card is different in my set I’m sure there are sets out there that differ as well by one or two cards.

Though I do not classify myself as an expert, I have been collecting for more than 20 years.

From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Sean Linkenback
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 2:48 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Alien Fake Lobby Card Set Revealed

I recently had a chance to do a nice side-by-side comparison of a real Alien (1979) Lobby Card set and a fake Alien lobby card set. Hopefully this guide will help anyone looking for a set to stay away from the repros and be able to spot them even in a small eBay photo (there are at least five different sellers on eBay right now offering the fake sets).

Every single one of the cards in the fake set is quite darker than the original set, and every single one of the cards in the fake set has also had some of the photo details trimmed off on the left/ right sides when compared to the originals. On a few of the cards, the images have been enlarged to fit the cards, but on a few some photoshopping was done and one has quite a comical affect. All of the cards have differences from the originals, but I am going to focus on 5 "easy" tells to help you out.

Lobby Card #7 - Crew Portrait
I start with this one, as it is one of the easiest ways to spot a fake. Basically if Harry Dean Stanton has an extra right arm floating next to him, you have a fake card. (there are also some photoshop effects on the right side). The last few centimeters of the image on the left side of the card were duplicated to extend the image to the borders, and in doing so they made a duplicate image of part of Harry Dean Stanton's arm/jacket (and then darkened it so it is harder to tell).

Card #7 Real
Card #7 Fake
Card #7 Side-by-Side

Lobby Card #8 - in the Ship
The easy tell on this card is the light board behind Sigourney Weaver's head. If you have a card where the light extends all the way to the border, you have a fake. On the original the light ends just before the border, while on the fake the edge has once again been photoshopped to extend the cropped image to the border.

Card #8 Real
Card #8 Fake
Card #8 Side-by-Side

Card #1 - on the planet surface
This card is just a cropped image, so there is missing artwork on the left and right borders. On the right side not as much as the alien machinery can be seen, while on the left the easiest tell is the small white triangular piece coming into the middle of the card on the arm of the spacesuit. On the original it is much longer than on the fake.

Card #1 Real
Card #1 Fake
Card #1 Side-by-Side

Card #4 - Alien Gunner
Once again slightly trimmed art and some photoshop effects. When looking at the alien wall design on the right edge of the card, on the original not only is there slightly more image, but the edge design tends to slant slightly up at an angle, while on the fake cards it just extends straight for the last few centimeters.

Card #4 Real
Card #4 Fake
Card #4 Side-by-Side (right edge)

Card #5 - Walking thee planet surface
Another case of trimmed artwork that is photoshopped to bring it to the edge. The mountain on the right edge of the card behind Tom Skerritt should extend at an upward slope to the edge of the card. One the fake card the last few centimeters of the image have been extended along the right edge, causing an unnatural appearing pattern on the edge (right after the spacesuit ends) and causing the mountain behind him to sort of flatten out at the edge. Also the overall darkness of the fake card leaves out a lot of detail of the spacesuits that is barely visible on the real card.

Card #5 Real
Card #5 Fake
Card #5 Side-by-Side (right edge)

Hope this guide is a little helpful to anyone looking to add this set to their collection, or anyone wanting to determine if the cards they currently own are original or not.

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by
persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.