I don't think I've heard of Sam Rubin, and likewise found it very
interesting to hear about his pioneering legacy - real shame he's gone. I only
ever
bought an occasional copy of Classic Images, but started a  full
subscription to MCW at the beginning of the 90s. Being in England it  was a
little
more expensive to get it shipped, but the hobby was not quite  so developed
here then, so it was like discovering Tutankhamun's  Tomb to see the variety of
classic titles on offer, and I  could hardly wait to get the next issue.
Given the delay in international  shipping, the very best titles were usually
gone by the time I could get in  touch with a seller. Sometimes I was lucky
- biggest surprise was  probably Shadow Of A Doubt one sheet. And of course,
several  titles were less popular then than now - one  sheets like Point
Blank and Le Mans literally just a few  dollars.
As I alluded to in a past message, though, most ads back then  were just
lists without pictures, condition was not routinely  quoted either. Purchases
were therefore often a stab in the dark, even  with an attempted description
by phone or fax. Occasionally I'd end up with  some unexpected style
looking like it had been through some sort of farm  machinery, but that was
really
the exception. Inevitably the rise of the  internet with colour images,
instant availability and online payment finally led  me to cancel my
subscription some years ago. Not without some sense of  guilt, it has to be
said, as I
owe MCW a huge debt of  gratitude for expanding my horizons and allowing me
to add some  amazing pieces to my collection. I still have a big stack of
old  MCWs in my garage, covered in pencil marks where I used  to circle items
in eternal hope they would still be for  sale!

Paul
_www.movieposterstudio.com_ (http://www.movieposterstudio.com)