http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216

Historical paper sizes

At 08:17 PM 10/3/2009, p...@cinemarts.com wrote:
The earliest silent posters I had were from 1903 for The American Entertianment Co. These were 30x40 horizontal art.
Also in the find were AEC 20x30 posters (vertical design).

Perhaps someone might weigh in on history of standard US paper sizes.

Phil
-----Original Message-----
From: Steven F. Poole [mailto:stand...@ll.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2009 08:53 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Size Matters........

Need some opinions and experiences, please. Those who know me in the hobby know that my collecting tastes center around posters from the 20's - 40's (all shapes and sizes and genres....a generalist) to be sure).. My question regards stone-lithos from the late 20's, specifically Morgan Co. Recently I traded a 1 sheet, linen-backed from a late silent 1928 Ramon Novarro film. The backing had been done in the late 80's/early 90's by Igor Edelemen (sp?). The previous owner of the poster had trimmed the linen border up to about 1/2 inch from the paper. No paper appeared to be missing and, in fact, there was a nice even border of off-white all around (not to mention a hairline linen lip). The 1 sheet itself was a bit off-sized.... about......27" x 40". Again, no trimming was apparent. The question for collectors, dealers, restorationists, etc. Is this a single instance of "off sizing" or have you seen other silent material that was just a bit off? Since these posters were printed and distributed...by Morgan, Tooker, Contenental, etc. and not the NSS, it seems this could be so. I also have a Wallace Reid 1 sheet from 1919 by Morgan and it also is off-sized....just a tick longer in this case going across. I realize that we ae not looking at a great size difference in these examples, but I am curious. Thanks in advance for any insights.

      Steve Poole