Sometimes the legend is better than the reality!

Remember how "everyone" told how Soupy "got away" with outrageous dirty
jokes on his show (like "I took my wife to a baseball game - I kissed her on
the strikes, and she kissed me on the balls")?

Never happened! See http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/soupy2.asp

But the "green pieces of paper" remark is real. I remember when it happened
in 1965 and the furor it caused (but apparently no tape of it survives). His
show was not shown the following week, but returned the next week.

Contrary to legend, Sales did NOT receive tons of money from kids, only a
few dollars. See http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/soupy1.asp

But the stories are better than the truth.

Bruce