Rich,

We seem to be remembering the circumstances differently. You seem to think people on MOPO started "dumping" on it without checking with the seller first. As I recall, the seller was contacted first but didn't provide anything in the way of viable assurance about authenticity. I didn't participate in that question-the-Creature discussion (at least I don't think I did and I'm not inclined to search the archives to make sure), but as I recall,after Diane came out and confirmed that she had backed it and felt it was authentic, that was pretty much the end of the discussion. So, I don't really see why you're steamed up about it now, at this late date. I don't recall you objecting to the discussion at the time it was taking place.

As for the asking price, again, we seem to be remembering things differently. Heritage just sold the exact same poster last week "very fine minus on linen" for $10,755 -- nowhere near the $15 K being asked for the other one (and I thought the last asking price was $18 K, but whatever, I really wasn't all that interested at the time). The point is, the price was obviously too high, since Heritage sold the same poster for over $4 K less within the same week or so. See:

http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7014&Lot_No=89274

Going back to March 18 2006, Heritage sold another for $10,925. And yet another on March 5 for $10,637. Check their archives. Since we all agree Heritage auctions tend to set the high retail prices, it seems like the market has been saying for some time that this poster fine on linen is worth around $11 K, maybe as much as $13 K in the right condition and bidding-war circumstances. Yes, there are also a couple there which went for around $13 K... and one stand-out aberration that went for $25 K (must be the same phenom that caused someone to bid a PULP FICTION from Bruce up to $580 this week... madness does sometimes set in on a particular auction).

I think the fact that, along with the extremely high starting price, Heritage advertising an identical auction at the same time had more to do with the other Creature not selling than anything else. Calling it a "victim" doesn't work for me -- unless you're saying the seller was the victim of his own greed by setting the opening bid to high. We both know that's not the way to attract bidder interest. I think last week's Heritage Creature started out around $6 K or so.

But, as you say, there is no way of knowing what a particular poster will go for at auction, we can only go by past recent sales as a general guideline, but what happens when the final bidding starts is totally unpredictable.

No, of course I'm not saying that if you somehow "find a Frankenstein one-sheet and pay $25k for it that I'm only allowed to ask $50k two weeks later" -- and you know I'm not. Ken's situation is totally different from that. He did not "find" the Metropolis poster, did he? I wasn't paying attention at the time, but didn't he win it in a well-publicized auction, beating out all other bidders and thus establishing the record-high price for that particular poster in 2005? Surely anyone else who wanted that poster and had the means to buy it was there bidding against Ken in 2005. So, unless some new millionaires have entered movie poster collecting in the last 4 years, the others weren't interested in paying more than $700 K for it 4 years ago and, given the kind of economy we've had since then, there is no logical reason to suppose they or anyone else would be paying to pay a whole more now, a mere 4 years later. Maybe a bit more, but certainly not $1.3 million more. Sure, anything *can* happen, but the expectation is not reasonable. It's wishful thinking.

The thing is, you still haven't explained why you think I was "dumping" on Ken or the poster. I was just offering my perfectly valid opinion that asking $2 million for it was way too high. People are entitled to their own opinions, Rich. And that's mine. Not sure why you're attacking me about it, or for staying so in public since the auction was public, but since I've explained my reasons for holding such an opinion twice now and I'm done with this particular discussion.

-- JR

Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:
JR

Creature first: that poster was a victim. whether it affected the sale or not is questionable. Yes at one point it was $21k. Later it was $15k.. right in line with a natural price for the item. After that poster did not sell, 2 other copies did sell above the $15k that he was asking.

But the problem is this, not that the poster was spoken about - but that it was totally shit on. As I said, there are ways to comment intelligently, but the posts on that item from a couple members in particular was disastrous.

Yes, it is up to knowledgeable people to bring forth this issues, but it can be done in an informed and classy manner. The comments on the item were not done so. It was shit on first, and then did the questions go to the seller. Why couldn't the members who shit on it first have asked questions first??

There is something called "presumed innocent until proven guilty" but the attacks on that poster were in the reverse of that. That is just wrong.

You can disagree without being disagreeable is the point.

Concerning your comments on Metropolis, Ken can defend himself just fine. He's a smart guy. But my point was that you were shitting on his poster's price, not that you commented about the poster

for the record, Ken bought the poster in 2005, not a couple years ago. He saved for months as he sold posters to complete the deal.

Pricing such a poster is not a standard formula. It has nothing in common with Goldfinger 1 sheets for instance in that regard. We all know what Goldfinger posters sell for on average, so it's easy to comment that someone is asking too much when he prices it at $5000. It's easy to price This Gun For Hire, or Wizard of Oz.. these posters - while not exactly common - do come to market often enough to price correctly. Metropolis, Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein etc cannot be priced in such a manner. These are posters that reside in a no-mans land. The Metropolis 3sh is (I believe) only one of two (or is it 3?) copies known or rumored to be in private hands. All other copies are in institutional hands. Institutional collections do not sell (in general), so it's possible that never again will a copy of this poster be available for sale. So in pricing... the sky's the limit.

Another thing: you seem to indicate that whatever Ken's asking price is should bear some relation to his cost or time held.. Why?? Does that mean if I find a Frankenstein one-sheet and pay $25k for it that I'm only allowed to ask $50k two weeks later?? That's ridiculous. Posters of this nature do not have any basis for pricing beyond "what the owner wants, if you want to buy it".

If the person(s) who has a billion $$ is the presumed market, does it matter if it's $700k, $1mil or $5mil?? Similarly, if the person(s) who don't think the poster is worth $2mil could afford it if it was $50k, does that matter??

What I think the poster is worth is irrelevant because I am not a potential buyer.

Todd's Black Cat poster (not Dracula JR) sold for less in the auction that the winning bidder's top bid proxy. So Todd got short-changed in a way as he knows the buyer, though he may not have known what his ceiling price may have been if they did a deal together outside of Heritage. Posters of this nature have no "standard rule". _It's what the market will bear

_furthermore, the only real consideration Ken would need to give it is "do I need the cash today right now immediately and so what price can I achieve right this moment?" or "I could care less if I sell the poster unless I can really kick ass and make a real change in my life". I suggest Ken is in the latter of the two groups

To the people who make the comments on values, forgeries etc.. there are ways to comment without "tainting" someone's property, certainly JR's comments could not taint a Metropolis 3sh, but I have no doubt that the CFTBL comments did taint that poster in some way because they created an atmosphere of worry around the item.. There is no justification for that, especially if the people who created that atmosphere could have gotten the information first on the poster's authenticity (which they did not) and been able to post INFORMED DATA.

one more point. People like to say :if you want to find the real price, auction it" this is not really correct.. Auction prices on most items (above 90%+) are below market prices in general. That's why so many dealers buy merchandise at auction. Dave's price on the YOLT subway poster may be on the high side, but the $700+ it sold for on ebay is very low. There is a difference between "auction price" and "retail price" and also as we know, you can buy chocolate at Wal Mart or on Rodeo Drive. On Rodeo Drive the price can be multiples of what you pay at Wal Mart, but who's to say that Rodeo Drive has the wrong price?? the easy answer...... the person who buys it.

Rich