MOPO - the fact is that some of the poster you think are real are fake... I have had a Line of posters that came from netherlands and UK and Germany that have all the info that a USA poster 1 sheet would have You need to understand that a infringer simplytakes a Photo of a Original Poster and then prints it. The paper used in 80sand 0os is all about the same// They sell paper by weight and by coated or uncoated and the slick shiney is called enamel stock,, so as far as sharpness.. Ive senn repros sharper then Originals.. because just like all digital they can now make images tweaked in color and all.

Most of this reprint research is simply speculation. because there are many reasons why a poster printed back then could have abnormal print. In those days the way they would get colors right is to use targets or the color keys on the side .. so many of these surfaed posters could be misptrints from the run, and they were sold outside ... also many could simply be Mis-prints as the printing was not as precise as now. Poosters even wer cut wrong, folded bad,, many many imperfections.. I know this for a fact as I handled 1000s
of poeters and have seen all kinds of crazy imperfections.
let me make this clear.I am not defending repros.. I am just trying to point out that the criteria you all are useing to determin real poster is not always true. The GAU logo Bug is on the repros I have bought along withe the National screen and all that was on a USA poster however they re reprints,,, matter of fact some reprints look better then the originals as far as print quality..... Think about that,,, The hardest reprint I ever encountered is scarface all pacino.. Its as good as original and Ive laid them side by side and its flawless... As far as Godfather and manhatten and many 1 and two color they are probably the easiest to reproduce as it was one color -one plate - and easy to do production wise,... Most of the reprints were under 27 x 41 so until they did 27 x 40 it was easier to spot,, then now anything is possible especially now with digital they can do onsies of all posters in Giclees.......... The pre 70s paper is easier to see the differance as it was coated one side or flat uncoated. However I havve some reprints that were on Flat stock... matter of fact PORTAL did Black cat On Flat stock in the 60s and 70s... The portals were all smaller posters as I sold them from like 1977- 1993 they started to use
enamel stock in latter years.
I am very aware of the reprints as I sold almost all the companies that made them so I saw most availble, My 1988 catolog showed many availible at time. Ira Roberst of Bev Hills, Celestial arts - san francisco, MPE - NYC - Poflake- Illinaois, Portal Corte madera, CA Personlaity posters - NYC Verkerke , Poster publications- Film Freaks_ star Images- close up - Dragis poster, Thought factory. Funky Poster, Great southern,, One stop posters- Montery Ca, I did trade shows in New York city with many of the poster companys for years at the national stationay show at Jacob javitts,, ..Ive seen the lisenced folks and the Import UK dealeres that sell via Phone and have all the underground stuff.... Its all out there and its just some people wil tell the truth and tell you its a reprint In my catalog from 1988 we sold them for 7.50 I sell most posters in the 20 - 50 range I have originals and I have some reprints. and just plain Old stock that
is Old. :) lets not forget video posters I had quite a few of those..:)
funny they used some theatrical one sheets for video release mostly warner brothers but others also... and the art sometimes was beter on the video... espcially after tehy adopted the 27 x 40 size formayt and eliminated the stripe for prices and all.

Hope this helps

David Lieberman wrote:

We did a comparison and took photos a few years ago, they are on our website. You can see that the black ink in the corners where the lines meet on the original is not perfect, while they fixed it for the repro. I've been saying for awhile now, the "minty whites" are aging and are no longer always "minty white". They've been around now for over 20 years. http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/godinscomp2.jpg http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/godinscomp1.jpg And..... just to confuse things.......Todd Feiertag sent us some REAL Empire Strikes Back GWTW inserts that were actually newer and whiter looking than the minty white fake we have. be careful out there.

David Lieberman

CineMasterpieces.com <http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/> | 15721 N. Greenway Hayden Loop, Suite 105 -- Scottsdale, Az 85260 Vintage Original Movie Posters | 602 309 0500 | Office/Gallery Open By Appt. Only.

Our Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/pages/CineMasterpieces/7735495839?v=wall>