  From: James Richard
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] How to remove a 100 year old poster STUCK to the glass

  Hmmm... I would have thought one of our restorers on this list would respond,
but no one seems to be around just now. A couple of thoughts:

  1) You could try heat. Take a hair dryer to the front of the glass, the glass
will heat up and the poster might release. Don't get it hot enough to burn (but
I'm not sure a hair dryer could do that).

  2) You could try steam. This would be tricky. You take a steam iron, hold it
over the back of the poster and hit the steam button to jet some steam onto the
poster. It might release. But since this is a 100-year old poster, the steam
would wet the paper and could cause it to fall to pieces, so maybe not such a
good idea.

  If you're going to send it to someone for restoration anyway, why not ask
them how to get it off the glass? They might want to do it themselves, even if
it means shipping the glass to them. Maybe there's someone within driving
distance who would know how to do this?

  -- JR

  Kevin Conway wrote:
ANyone know How to remove/restore a 100 year old poster  STUCK to the frame
glass?  It is very fragile and before I send to the restoration company I want
to remove it from the glass. ABout a 10" section has stuck to the glass.  Any
ideas?

Kevin Conway
Conway's Vintage Treasures
www.CVTreasures.com