I'm a purist where colorization is concerned. For me, colorization is taking the imagery too far from the original source. When making a film, to get a specific effect or visual impact, you have to use very different lighting and camera techniques when shooting in color versus black and white (shades of gray, actually). So, by forcing imagery that was originally visualized and shot in black and white into a color space, you change far too much of what the original cinematographer and director intended when they created the film.

Witness a movie like MANHATTAN, deliberately filmed in black and white when by all rights it should have been filmed in color. But it would simply not be the same film in color. Nor is RED RIVER the same film after colorization, no matter how beautifully done. It's not just about the presence of color, it's about how color changes the way the imagery works on screen and affects the viewer.

You see this difference even in films that "had to be filmed in color" like BATMAN BEGINS. Yes, it is shot in color, but it is deliberately lit so darkly and with the sets and costumes deliberately toned down in their colors and textures to simulate the psychological/emotional effect of a black and white film.

Not that I want most films to go back to being filmed in black and white. I just feel that films originally shot in black and white should remain that way. If, as some claim, "younger" viewers can't watch them because they are not in color, that's their problem (and their loss). But I personally have yet to find a "younger viewer" who refused to watch a good film because it was in black and white, or failed to appreciate it for what it was.

If someone want to actually re-make (re-film) RED RIVER as a new movie in color and 3D, that's a different story and I wish them luck and will be happy to check out what they come up with -- but changing the original? No, that's not something that should be done.

-- JR

wise1...@aol.com wrote:
I just streamed a beautiful colorized Red River on netflix. looks just like IB Tech.
Can't wait to one day stream the color 3D version!

It may be a fad but this time it looks like the industry is more behind it.
Especially for games.
3D TVs are here and of course will come down in price.
MH