Hi, Bruce,

  Even though I wasn't at the Christie's Auction, I'm sure Stan Caiden  was
(I'm sure he died shortly after--not sure of date).  Anyway, in my  "poster
travels" at the time, I'd come across an original It Happened One Night  US
1-Sheet (the style in which Gable doesn't look like Gable).  For that
reason. I decided to sell it (much to my regret 20 years later).  Anyway,
someone had given me Stan Caiden's phone number--so I called him up, thinking
he
might be interested in the It Happened One Night one sheet (not realizing
he was  very sick at the time). He was very nice to me--a gentleman--although
I remember  his voice sounded very whispy and weak. I remember he told me,
"My life would be  complete if I could just find a one sheet on The Jazz
Singer..."
A few minutes later, I thanked him and said "goodbye"---I think less than 6
 months later, he'd passed away.
The strange irony of this situation is that a year or two later, a whole
shitload of Jazz Singer material appeared "out of the woodwork"---Orig US
1-sheets, 6-sheets + more.  Stan's dream-fine had arrived somewhat  late...but
in a greater quantity than I'm sure he'd ever anticipated.  Kind  of took
the luster off of material on The Jazz Singer, which had previously been
virtually impossible to find.
   I think there's a lesson for all movie poster collectors  here.
Whenever you think a title..any title..is "impossible" to find  material
on...as
was the case with The Jazz Singer...sometimes Fate steps  in of the planets
align correctly...hey, I don't know what happens...all I know  is that you
can't take anything for granted in this hobby.  Anything can  appear at any
time, no matter how rare it might be perceived to be.
I know only the old-timers will probably recognize Stan Caiden's name, but
he had quite an incredible collection of movie posters...even if it didn't
include a Jazz Singer one sheet...
                                                                  Rick

In a message dated 5/6/2010 3:57:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,