OUCH!

Richard Del Belso

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:55:32 -0400
From: chun...@umaryland.edu
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Lawrence of Arabia Oscars WC arrives in s*** condition.
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

You want a worst-packing description - I'll give you a worst packing
description.

A middle-grade auction house with no experience in posters (yes, I know I
should have been wary) had a movie poster auction a few years ago.  Most of the
items were uttterly unremarkable but there were a few of passing interest and I
duly submitted my maximum bids and waited to see what would happen.  I won
three lots at precisely my maximum bid - quite the coincidence.

Two items had to be sent flat and were packed quite well, however the Bullitt
1-sheet was tightly rolled into a flimsy (I could crush it with my little
finger) tube about 1.5" in diameter.  Bad enough you might think, but the
kicker was the tube was about 6" too short so the packer got a second.
equivalent tube to cover the exposed 6", squeezed the open end of the first
tube into the second piece so the combined length now covered the poster, then
used a stapler to hold the two pieces of tube together.  Since the poster was
right next to the area where the tube pieces overlapped the multiple staples
went right through the tube and into the poster, and since the poster was so
tightly rolled each staple made about eight holes.  The poster was probably in
quite good condition before being sent, but on arrival it had multiple crush
marks and more perforations than a tea bag.

Colin