I've been to NYC twice, once when I was in college in the late 70's.  And again
in the mid 80's for my niece's wedding.
The 70's trip was with friends that had introduced me to poster collecting, and
the trip was made to go to the many poster shops in NY.  We arrived in the city
around 2 am, and parked the car (not easy).  As we walked toward the friend's
apartment we would be staying at, we were greeted by a group of hookers.  We
kept walking....without the hookers.  Hello New York.
I came across the strangest people I had ever met in my life on this trip.
On one very memorable trip to a poster shop we had to be buzzed into the door
after giving someone's name to gain entry. My friend referred to the owner as
"The Dragon Lady".  She matched the name.
I had a blast on this trip, and I definitely caught the poster collecting bug
at this time.

The 80's trip was different, I had my wife and two small daughters along, and
it seemed like I was in protection mode the whole time.
My family and I were exiting the Empire State building (I think) as my wife was
going through the rotating door, with my toddler daughter in her arms no less,
the woman in back of her, also in the rotating door, got mad about how slow my
wife was going, so she pushed the door so hard that it hit my wife's tennis
shoe, and ripped off the sole.  And for good measures gave Sherri a good push
as she went by.  I saw all of this, but my oldest daughter and I were behind
another person still in the building trying to get out.  So all I could do by
the time I got out was yell $#@&*.  Then buy my wife new shoes.
During this same trip on the way to a poster shop, I had a guy walk next to me
and my family singing a nice little song about how he would be in my pockets
stealing my money.  I showed him the roll of nickels that I was carrying in my
fist, and he stopped singing, and went back to his hole in the ground.
I've never been back since.  I'm glad the city has been cleaned up, because it
has so much to offer.  Maybe one day I'll go back.....
John W