Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 12:46:23 -0500
From: gre...@ha.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Slabbed Lobby Cards at Heritage
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Thank you, Cory, for a voice of reason.

This is a small hobby and for it to grow or that matter for any hobby,
business, or enterprise of any nature, often one must try to embrace or at
least realize that there will be change.  To try to ignore these changes is
like living in 1980 and believing the personal computer couldn’t be good for
much unless you were an accountant!  I cannot help but believe many young
people would love to be involved in this wonderful hobby, yet there is such a
strong contingent of “older” people in this field that perhaps they feel
intimidated by or believe that unless they know more they would never be
accepted. And I include myself in that older group! This will help give the
newer buyers more confidence and will inevitably bring more material  and
buyers into the market.

How can there be a damaging effect by removing the owner from the grading of a
lobby and turning it over to an accredited group who have no financial gain in
how a card grades, hurt anyone but perhaps the seller wanting to pass off a
lesser card?

Confidence is what we are addressing here. I am not sure how many have bought a
poster that was not graded as they felt was fair, but I dare say, a large
percentage of buyers.  At Heritage we have constantly tried to improve our
grading and in contrast to what some of our competitors will claim, we very
rarely get any complaint or return for grade or quality, I am proud to say.
Now, bear in mind that so much of what is bought in posters is now purchased
over the internet and a buyer is going by an image online only!  I cannot help
but believe that by taking the grading out of the seller’s hands where lobby
cards are concerned and putting them in the hands of a company that is highly
qualified in the grading fields, who has nothing to gain but the cost of
grading and has been in that field for comics for over ten years and in the
other hobbies for, I believe, over 23 years, will bring a great lot of
credibility to this hobby.

I hear some say, “Oh, I can’t touch it so I wouldn’t want it!” Do you not have
a pair of scissors? Cut the card out of the slab and frame it with the saved
grading label put on the back of the frame! You know what you have bought!!  If
you go to sell it, either the potential buyer or seller could have it re-graded.

On one other note, I see where there is concern that if something is bought and
the graders have missed a “forged” card, what sort of recourse is there? First
of all you must believe that CGC has been fully appraised and is aware of the
forgeries and yes, they do stand behind what they grade, financially. It is
called a guarantee.