From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Richard
Halegua Comic Art
Sent: December 13, 2010 1:09 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Those wascky Warner Bros. Linen lobbies

so does that mean that my Juke Girl lobbies that are not linen paper might
be first release lobbies as well??

At 04:05 AM 12/13/2010, Bruce Hershenson wrote:

Darcy

Great topic, especially if it will cause some dealers to quit saying the
flat cards from 1930s titles are original release! On movies that were
originally released in 1940 and earlier, I would say there is no chance the
flat cards are first release, but there is some doubt on movies that were
originally released in 1941 or 1942 (on those it is possible they made both
flat and linen at the same time).

After Pearl Harbor, most of Warner Bros top stars enlisted in the Armed
Forces (likely partly due to their patriotism, and partly due to the top
income tax rate of 88% imposed in 1942 (it went to 94% in 1944)! Many of
them were immediately made officers and got cushy jobs in the military but a
few asked for and received combat duty.

That left the studios (and Warner Bros in particular) in a bind, because the
movies they made with their second tier stars were not nearly as popular as
their product of the mid-to-late 1930s. So they re-released their top movies
from that period.

I am not sure where the 1942 came from (all of these re-releases were
undated to the best of my knowledge), but  they are surely from between 1942
and 1945 or so, when the stars returned home.

We always record handwritten NSS info from movie paper (sometimes they would
assign numbers to items that were printed without them, for filing purposes,
and that can be invaluable in exactly dating re-releases) but I don't recall
seeing one on one of these.

I am sure Ron Moore, Grey Smith or Ed Poole will have more light to shed on
this subject!

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Darcy and Tracey Craig