From: "Phillip W. Ayling" <mro...@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:20:40
To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] the artist

As long as the score for Vertigo is mentioned again, I'm finally going to jump
in and comment. It distracted me in a way too, though maybe for different
reasons than most of the rest of you. The music used in the film is not from
the original film itself as conducted by Bernard Hermann, but rather is a later
suite recording made by the Royal Philharmonic conducted by Elmer Bernstein.
The orchestra sounds fantastic and Elmer's conducting approach as contrasted
with Bernard's is different, by really rather elegant. By comparison the
Brussels Philharmonic, which plays the rest of the score for The Artist just
sounds dreadful to me; out of tune, poor solo playing and lame mix. I'm not
making a comment on the compositions themselves. I have opinions, but that
isn't what I'm talking about here. Nonetheless the score itself has been
nominated for an Academy Award.

There is a Red Nichols recording used in the film that is right from the time
of The Artist, as well as Duke Ellington and Rose Murphy recordings from about
a decade after the time period in which The Artist is set. If the intent of the
score was to mimic the sound quality of a late 1920's orchestra they didn't
come close to getting it right, if not...then it sounds lame without any
pretense driving it, in my opinion.

Anyway, I found that far more distracting than noticing Vertigo.