Richard,

I have been float mounting posters for several years, my frame shop has done
this very frequently for both myself and for clients. Depending on the poster,
we have used both white and black backing boards. In any case, the backing
board should run slightly larger than the actual poster, and you obviously need
spacers to get the proper 'floating' effect. I guess it takes some experience
to choose the best depth for the spacers, and especially rolled posters may be
stopped by the glass, that's unevitable. My frame shop fixes the posters to the
backing board with acid free paper tape, in as many spots as necessary. It is
important though, that the poster actually 'hangs' in the frame, as the poster
will shrink and extend a bit when the climate changes, so do not fix them at
all four corners, but rather attach them at the top.

I like linenbacking and restoration for posters that have severe defects, or
damages that heavily distract from the overall appearance (like, old tape,
uuurgh...)

When a poster has no or only light defects, I've had great results with float
mounting, rather than hiding the folds or any defects, the float frame rather
brings them out, it makes a poster look more like a piece of fine art. By
clearly bringing out all defects, it also emphasizes on the fact that an old
poster has a history, and another life, before it became a 'collectible'...

For me, and a fair number of my clients, float mounting is the way to go.

Helmut

http://www.filmposter.net