Rick
you and I have different ways of shipping. You use regular household materials sometimes, like supermarket plastic bags and cut-up boxes
Over here we use lobby card plastic bags or larger
we use ordered pre-cut cardboard of all sizes
we do use USPS boxes, but can only use them about 65% of the time, so we order other boxes and they most certainly do not provide good tubes if using a USPS box, our per-package cost still bottoms out at $1 for materials and if we have to use other packaging it can be as much as $4.00+

my supplies cost is about $4000 @year
we aren't even talking about labor and postage yet