Terrific post, David -
Thanks so much for sharing such in-the-trenches pro experience.
Great grist for the mill.

On Dec 30, 2013, at 1:20 PM, David wrote:

> Hi All
>
> It's been a few days since this topic was posted and I have been humbled by
> some of the kind words said about me and the work I have done, so thanks to
> those people sincerely. As most people who know me will attest, I am almost
> always happy to offer free advice about this sort of thing (off camera as it
> were), even give a website the 'once over' if asked. Having read the replies
> over the last few days I would say I agree with some comments, some I do not.
> So here's a few notes I jotted down....
>
> One thing I have found over the last 20 years of doing this sort of thing is
> almost always your opinion is your DIY website is pretty much just as good as
> a professional website...ummmm, nope.
>
> Now, that is not to say you shouldn't have a go at building a website
> yourself, absolutely, give it a go, and don't get me wrong, some do achieve
> amazing result too. Building your own website is fun and of course there is a
> sense of achievement when it's completed too! Even better, the most wonderful
> thing about building your own website is that no matter how dysfunctional it
> is as a website or how ugly it really is a design (in a medium where design
> absolutely matters), almost all of your friends, all your relatives and even
> all co-forum members, will all be extremely complimentary about it, because
> everyone knows you spent all that time putting it together, they know how
> proud you are of it (because you did it yourself) and as a result no one
> wants to tell you your website looks like something the cat dragged in...

Works the same for new babies, too!

> So, did build your website for the compliments or for the income it will
> bring?
> For most people a website is not a 'bit of fun', it's a proper business (at
> some level), if there is an expectation of a commercial outcome then treat it
> so.
> Your 'front page' has about 15 seconds to make an impact on the surfer when
> they arrive on your website, I don't care how good the product is, if your
> site looks amateurish and 'home-made' then a large portion will leave and
> take their wallet with them. That's reality.
Thanks so much for this - it is easy for this to get lost.

MUSEUM GIFT SHOP:

http://stores.ebay.com/Museum-Store-Gifts

ALAN J. ADLER INTERVIEW:

http://ephemera.typepad.com/ephemera/2009/09/movie-poster-collector-alan-j-adler-interview.html