Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:21:01 +0000
From: tommymb...@gmail.com
Subject: [MOPO] European disadvantage.
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Once again this weekend I was frustrated at being narrowly beaten on a couple
of posters at auction, and had I been able to bid live at or near the closing
time maybe I could have won them. The fact is, though, that many auctions are
based in USA and the closing times are 3 or 4 in the morning in the UK (and
within an hour of that elsewhere in Europe), so who can stay up for that? When
I have raised this matter in the past I have been told to make sure to bid my
maximum amount, but we all know that if you appear to be within 5 or 10 dollars
of winning then you would very often increase that amount. Furthermore, if you
are bidding on several posters you would have an overall budget, and if losing
out on some then you would feel able to bid more on others, or even start
bidding on one or two from your watched list. I can appreciate that probably
the biggest proportion of bidders are in USA, so on weekdays I can understand
why timings should be in the evening, but on a Sunday surely it is possible to
have an earlier closing time. To his credit, Bruce does, so why can't the
others?

Tommy Barr
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com