From: Freeman Fisher <flixs...@aol.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:22:11 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [MOPO] European disadvantage.

Tommy,
I was given very solid advice by a sage elder of the business when first
starting, Kirby McDaniel.  He always recommended even when the snipe services
or extended bidding time software came into play that you bid exactly what you
are willing to pay (plus commission if it exists).  That way you stay on budget
and if you lose it, "just like a city bus another will come  again shortly."

Of course the push back to that is some people still think placing a reserve
might tempt or engage said operator/owner  of the auction to raise the price to
meet the dollars one is willing to pay based on the reserve.   I simply don't
think that happens. It's illegal and I doubt seriously anyone  would risk their
reputation and legitimacy for and extra  $75 or so dollars.

On Jan 13, 2014, at 8:42 AM, Bruce Hershenson <brucehershen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tommy, Filip is correct that there is no way to please everyone, especially
> because our bidders DO come from all over the globe. If I ever add another
> day of auctions, I would like to try having them at a different time (maybe
> Monday or Wednesday at noon CST, which would be a good time for European
> bidders, but then surely a lot of other bidders would complain)!
>

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM, filip de volder <runbuffy...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Hi Tommy , I think your answer is in your below question : many auctions are
> based in USA , the biggest proportion of bidders are in USA ...
> Most people (even movie poster collectors) have a life on sunday with their
> family and/or friends so evenings sound most convenient for the majority to
> bid live ...
> There are european auction houses too  , i don't think any start their sales
> at 3 in the morning UK time to please some american buyers .
> filip
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:21:01 +0000
> From: tommymb...@gmail.com
> Subject: [MOPO] European disadvantage.
> To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>

> Once again this weekend I was frustrated at being narrowly beaten on a couple
> of posters at auction, and had I been able to bid live at or near the closing
> time maybe I could have won them. The fact is, though, that many auctions are
> based in USA and the closing times are 3 or 4 in the morning in the UK (and
> within an hour of that elsewhere in Europe), so who can stay up for that?
> When I have raised this matter in the past I have been told to make sure to
> bid my maximum amount, but we all know that if you appear to be within 5 or
> 10 dollars of winning then you would very often increase that amount.
> Furthermore, if you are bidding on several posters you would have an overall
> budget, and if losing out on some then you would feel able to bid more on
> others, or even start bidding on one or two from your watched list. I can
> appreciate that probably the biggest proportion of bidders are in USA, so on
> weekdays I can understand why timings should be in the evening, but on a
> Sunday!
  surely it is possible to have an earlier closing time. To his credit, Bruce
does, so why can't the others?