wow, David... this is terrific. Lots of info I never had before.
Thank you!!

RDB

Richard Del Belso

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:18:10 +1100
From: shadow....@gmail.com
Subject: [MOPO] A Few Words About Your Poster Images On Our Internet
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

    Hi All

    In keeping with the teach
        a man to fish saying here’s another article I thought I would
        put together for
        those of you who have an online movie poster store, might be a
        good idea to grab a
        coffee and a notepad, there will be a test later…

    Movie posters are a
        visual thing, it's probably the one thing that sets them apart
        from most other products
        you can buy online – you don’t have to try them on, you don’t
        have believe they
        will peel the potatoes better or faster, and you generally don’t
        find they
        enlarge anything -so it probably makes sense that how you
        visually deliver them
        to the internet is just as important as what you price them at,
        right?

    Damn Right!

    I would like to offer a
        few tips on Types, Size and SEO when it comes to images

    --------------------------

    Types
    There are three main
        'types' of images used on the internet. jpg (or jpeg), gif and
        png.

    JPEG - This is the most
        common used and probably the best to use for most colour and/or
        detail images. The
        main reason is you don’t lose much detail and quality when you
        reduce the size.

    GIF – These are good to
        use for icons and single colour images but not so for colour
        ones, this is
        mainly because reducing the size (kb) and maintaining quality is
        nigh on
        impossible.

    PNG - A good option - there
        are two version png-8 and png-24, the latter is great for logos
        and images the
        former is lighter (kb). But, they tend to be heavier (kb)

    Personally, unless you
        have the program (like Photoshop) and you know what you are
        doing, stick with
        jpegs.

    --------------------------

    Image Size

    So, how big should your
        image be when clicked on (to be enlarged) on your website?

    This is a personal
        preference - but you have to bear in mind screen size, with the
        exception of a
        few dealers (who do it for quality of their sales) Supersize is
        probably not
        necessary.

    First up - I recommend
        uniformity - it simply good design on a website and secondly the
        first image
        seen should be a thumbnail.

    A thumbnail is actually a
        reduced version of the bigger image – it is a SEPARATE image to
        the big one –
        too many people simply make the big one small in size but it’s
        actually still a
        full size image and weighs a lot (takes a long time to
        load).e.g. (and we all
        have seen it) an image takes forever to load on a website yet
        it’s quite small
        in size – why it that? Simply: you've not change the weight of
        your image, you
        just told your web page that when it shows this picture here it
        should be ‘pretend
        to be smaller’ size. In other words you’ve made the surfer look
        at your elephant
        through the wrong end of the binoculars but it’s still a full
        size elephant!

    Now, as to ideal size of
        your larger image, well that’s up to you but I recommend around
        800-1000px
        (long side) x whatever the ratio is on the short side.

    Unfortunately, that’s
        just half of it - making your image smaller isn't always making
        it lighter
        (less kb), you also NEED to optimise your images too - if you
        have Photoshop
        (or similar) then you probably already know what to do.

    If not…

    Just as the size of your
        image is important (width x height) equally so is the 'weight'
        of your image
        (kb); in an ideal world for our hobby you should have an image
        that is (say)
        800px X 530 px and is less than 100kb.

    With mobile phone surfing
          prevalent these days it's more and more important to optimise
          your images as a
          courtesy to your client.

    So,
        optimise your images - either invest in a program or there are
        free ones out
        there (search:
https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&ei=KBQNU4SbH5DqrQf8lICICA&ved=0CBEQ1S4#q=image+optimizer)

    Here's some free online
        ones you can try that I have already tested for you (I liked the
        first one)

    http://jpeg-optimizer.com/
    http://www.imageoptimizer.net/
    http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/imageoptimizer/

    Of course the next step
        is to make your poster image into a thumbnail…and that depends
        on the type of
        web site you have and can be discussed another day.

    Note #1: If you are
        simply displaying your pictures in a gallery (like Photobucket)
        then it will
        auto resize and optimize your images for you, you can even set
        the size
        parameters in the settings – but I digress, this discussion is
        about those who have
        their own poster website (selling etc).

    Note #2: How long it
        takes your images to load is directly proportional to how long
        you will keep a
        surfer on your website. Longer to load less time and money
          spent.

    CHECK your load time –
        there is a number of websites who will tell you how fast/slow
        your website
        takes to load, trust me, looking at your website from your own
        computer is no
        test: http://tools.pingdom.com/ http://www.webpagetest.org/

    SEO – Image Search Engine Optimisation

    Almost every single image
        on the internet is spidered (looked at) by search engines, but
        the search
        engine doesn’t actually know what it is a picture of, so simply
        posting a
        picture of the poster you are selling won’t help your website,
        you have to give
        it some ALT tags.

    An ALT tag is a
        description of the image which is ‘hidden’ in the code of the
        website but is
        there for search engines to find them, eg when someone searches
        for “Mr Music
        Daybill Movie Poster” (without the quotes) in say Google, guess
        who’s top of
        the list? Go on try it, I’ll wait. Click the first result and
        let me know…it
        won’t be a multi choice question. In other words – be relevant
        in your ALT
        tags. But please don’t think you can populate the ALT tag with
        lots of keywords
        – won’t work, search engines will ignore it. Remember, you
        aren’t that smart –
        Mr Google is.

    Examples…here’s some ALT
        tag examples I have extracted against one image on some major
        player’s websites

    EMP - alt="6d001
        DELIVERANCE New Zealand daybill '72 Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds,
        Ned Beatty,
        Boorman classic!"

    This is actually pretty
        good. In reality the only tags that matter are ‘DELIVERANCE New
        Zealand daybill’
        the use of the actor’s names and “Boorman classic!” won’t
        improve the result
        any better  than the
        aforementioned
        words/phrase, nor does the product code doesn’t help either,
        probably and
        overuse of relevant words but still: Very Good.

    --------------------------

    HA: alt=”Movie
        Posters:Horror, 13 Ghosts (Columbia, 1960). One Sheet
        (27" X
        41") Ghost ViewerStyle. Horror.. ... Image #1"

    Not good at all. Think
        like a real world internet user, at best the consumer is going
        to search for “13
        Ghosts movie poster” – all the rest of the information ensures
        any chance this
        site and this poster is found is next to none. Poor.

    --------------------------

    MPB – I am aware this
        site is new and still being tweaked so I won’t be too hard,
        much…No Alt tags on
        any image and all images are titled by the item number and not
        the poster title
        and type. Very hard to know it will generate a search engine
        result for the
        poster title “The Big Heat” when iot is called “sale_293a_031” –
        I understand the
        reasons why but: RFI – Room For Improvement.

    --------------------------

    Now for those of you who
        have hundreds, or even thousands of posters that you are
        suddenly thinking “oops,
        better rename them” there is a number of good bulk rename
        programs out there –
        I have used “Bulk Rename Utility” for years but it is a step
        learning curve so
        unless you are confident find something else!

    As I have said before,
        and told many clients and anyone else who will listen (carpark
        attendant, coffee
        barista, mystery lady who leaves us a packet of Tim Tams every
        week) – having a
        website is easy, making it work for you is a lot of hard work –
        do the basic
        early and it gets easier and the results do get better,
        exponentially.

    This has really just
        scratched the surface but I hope it has helped someone.

    Any questions, just ask

    David Rew