my 40x60 for Murder My Sweet is not in the presbook

At 02:41 PM 3/29/2014, Phillip Ayling wrote:
Thanks Grey ( and all)!

I only have one old pre WWII 40 x 60. It is Red River Valley (1941) w/Roy Rogers. It is in poor shape, but as Richard described previously, mine is delightfully garish and overstated. It is silkscreen on heavy, but super dilapidated paper. It has no printer or distribution info, which is not super surprising, as Republic wasn’t yet part of the NSS signatory companies, but this prompts a question on my part, which you seem to have helped answer.

As Bruce mentioned, he knows these images mostly from the pressbooks, having directly handled only a very small number of super old 40x60’s. Bruce is certainly the pressbook maven. However, I don't recall seeing much about 40x60's in my admittedly small pressbook collection for westerns, serials or B movies.  It makes sense that some of these (like my Roy Rogers) were done independently or outside of the studio publicity dept. Nonetheless, I am wondering if there have to be cases where the 40x60 isn’t mentioned or shown in the studio pressbook, even though some exchanges would have had them from official sources/ Might the studios might have authorized some of them on a case by case basis after the initial pressbook campaign was printed and distributed?  Anyone know more? Thanks to all. Very interesting. Â

From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of daniel strebin
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:17 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Just a quick question: 40 x 60 silkscreens from pre-WWII

i have handled about 10-12 over my 40 years, and i believe i have the distinction of selling stan caiden his final poster 3 days before his death, a silkscreen 40x60 for "ninotchka" that i found at a flea market near san francisco. i also believe these 40x60s and 30x40 silkscreens were something of a beginning for national screen service, who is credited as printer (not just distributor) on at least several of the ones i handled.