I guess based on what has Paul said, it seems the the poster is most likely to be from a print run for the foreign market rather than a print run for the local (UK market) which is what the HA one appears to be; this in itself would explain some of the minor variations, yet it still holds some of the key features of that HA one, for instance the same litho number, the same colours (as compared to the '49 HA one) and also the print detail is also extremely similar to the UK market (HA '49) one and nothing like the R50s one.

So on that basis probably the real question is not what the minor print differences are but when was Lion International in the business of foreign distribution. We know they were discussing distribution in 1955 as the deputy managing director Victor Hoare was spruiking his company's films into the USA in 1955.

Of course we simply don't know what country this poster was for either, I have checked the Australian papers and The Third Man wasn't actually released here until about March 1950. At this time I can't find anything about an original AU1SH or Daybill being used at the time (I know there will be general sadness with that news in this forum) and the film and did enjoy a solid run - it also had a re-release here in 1952. Researching The Third Man at that time is a landmine in itself due to the fact it is also an important position on a cricket field and Australia were beating England 4-1 in that year's Ashes...

But I digress... :)

I also have no idea what year the film was released in New Zealand (where the poster currently resides), nor any other colonies and therefore it is entirely possible that the poster was for an original release in one of those colonies.

As to erring on the side of caution, absolutely, we all would like to see items put up for sale with accurate information, that said he wouldn't be the first to miss-date a poster, probably every seller and auctioneer has done that, specially when it comes to the foreign (non USA) paper.

David