Hi Jonathan,  Platt,  Rog, Elephant

(I think there are no doubts about my position... I'm on Platt's an
Jonathan's side.... )

Maybe we just need a different dictionary. Do we really need the
"awareness" concept?
I could be wrong, but IMO such a term has (had?) another meaning in a
SOMish  vision of the world: the proof of a certain degree of awareness
was the capability of being independent of a strict causation principle.

At the very beginning of the human thought, it was normal to say that
even rocks were aware. Animism was a perfectly rational position, at
those times. Then they have invented logic, science, causation.... and
according to the causation assumption, it is more sensible to say that
rocks are not aware; that biologic beings are aware; and that human
beings are also aware of their awareness

As long as the the nature of matter was seemingly in accordance to the
assumption that there's always an external cause for its behavior, no
problem, matter was not aware. But now we know it's not like that:
causation is a platypus. Using our "old" dictionaries, we MUST say that
electrons "CHOOSE" their behavior. We MUST say that they are "AWARE".
Then, immediately, we MUST add that, in a MOQ, awareness has a different
meaning, or they will think we are mad animists.

Pirsig, about the "Free Will vs. Detrminism" controversy, writes: "In
the MOQ this dilemma doesn't come up. To the extent that one's behavior
is controlled by static patterns of quality it is without choice. But to
the extent that one follows DQ, which is undefinable, one's behavior is
free".

So, do atoms follow DQ? To a certain extent, YES. So, they have a free
will? YES....  So, they are aware? YES, if we just make it clear that
awareness and free will are, simply, the possibility to be dynamic, and
that this principle is valid at all levels.

tks
Marco

p.s.
Of course my words have no sense according to the Elephant position that
all "things" are mind games. This is the basic disagreement.