Elephant wrote:

*Personally* I incline towards the view that "DQ" and "consciousness" are
two words for the same reality, that reality being cut up by grammar only.
(Maybe static/dynamic isn't the first cut, but the second after
quality/consciousness.)  In anycase, if you hope to establish some
chronological relation between distinguished DQ and consciousness by radio
carbon dating or a birth certificate or some such, you are making some
mistake about what sort of thing consciousness and DQ are.  They are not
like wine bottles. You can't stick a date stamp on either DQ or
consciousness.

Yes, and that is why if there were 'atoms', they would behave 'as if' they
were conscious.  Consciousness should not be thought of as self (or 'other',
for that matter) awareness, but can be seen as the ability to move towards
quality; to 'recognize' the quality route.  I am not aware of beating my
heart or breathing while asleep, but the quality choice is certainly in that
direction.  Consciouness is not a 'state', like sleeping or being hungry, it
is the context in which everything exists.  Atoms, like everything else,
operate within that context and behave accordingly.
marty