While I have enjoyed the recent "consumerism"-based posts, I do think that I
need to be more aware of Bodvar's assertion (correct, IMO) that there is a
danger in drifting too far from MoQ-ista world and becoming just another
AOL-sounding chat room.  But the current discussion has reminded me just how
caught up I am in the consumer-based culture, and I was wondering if the MoQ
offered an explanation or a way out, besides the stereotypical evolutionary
higher-quality mate, allowing for more procreative opportunities, blah blah
blah.  I am at a point in life where I live a fairly comfortable,
middle-class lifestyle, and I'm able to make occasional purchases that I had
always thought about owning.  The problem is, it's never enough.  I saw the
new Lexus sport coupe the other day and told my girlfriend how much I liked
it and she said "If you had it you'd still be miserable", and she's right.
If I had it I'd then want the Mercedes "fill in the blank" model, and on and
on.  Is this due to the stifling nature of a "static" existence?  Does the
new vehicle or any commodity represent a temporary respite from the static
thing, perhaps erroneously perceived as a "dynamic" occurrence?  Am I
trivializing the MoQ? as Lila is obviously not a "self-help" book.  Yet much
of my attraction to ZAMM and Lila was a sense of transcendence, conscious and
subconscious maybe. Perhaps these insatiable needs are merely to prevent a
static complacency, yet "complacency" can be a very dynamic event in terms of
contentment, I would think.  Is "Quality" in our personal lives merely a
measure of all the "things" we now have, or hope to, acquire?

Clarke
P.S. If this post represents a drift outside the framework of the MoQ then I
apologize in advance; ignore me as my girlfriend does.