Platt

I'm looking at my watch. The time is 14 miutes and 10 seconds past 1 o'clock in the
morning.
Would this change if I were a murderer, a rapist or a child molester (I'm none of
these I
hasten to add - honest!). Of course it wouldn't.
In the same way, Pirsigs MoQ is entirely unaffected by his moral shortcomings. He may
be a
hypocrite or worse (personally I don't think so - he is merely human) but I honestly
cannot see
how it affects his Metaphysics.
There is a book about to be (or possibly already) published about the personal life of
Shakespeare. Apparently he had homosexual tendencies (Gosh!!!!), paid insufficient
attention to his family and was generally a not very nice chap. So what? Should I
remember
this as I read the Tempest, King Lear or Macbeth. Why, fercrissakes?
The MoQ is a statement about reality. Pirsig is part of that reality but not it's
entireity - the
MoQ would be as true a statement about reality whether he existed or not.

The MoQ gives us a target to aim for - a bullseye is great but not necessary. To be
the best
that you can be is the important thing.

Horse