Hi Jonathan:

> > But in the end, Pirsig was glad to get rid of Lila:
>
> Too true. Many moons ago, I stirred things up by suggesting that in the end,
> Phaedrus was the posing moralist, "slinking off" and leaving the real job of
> caring for Lila to Richard Rigel.
> The elements of hypocrisy that come through in Lila are nothing new to me.
> What disappoints me much more is to see how so many people are only realising
> it now, and using is to cast a dark shadow over the MoQ.

I knew somebody had pointed this out a long time ago. So it was you. I
sure didn't see it at the time. Chalk it up to my being a dim bulb,
blinded by the brilliance of the MOQ and unwilling at the time to see any
cracks in the Great Author's edifice.

> PLATT quotes from Lila
> > "Across the cabin, on the pilot berth, Phaedrus saw that her suitcase
> > was gone. There was a nice empty hole there. That was good. That
> > meant he could get the trays of slips back out and have room to get to
> > work on them again. That was good too. He remembered that
> > PROGRAM slip he wrote to wait until Lila gets off the boat. He could
> > cross that one off now." (Lila, Chap. 32).
>
> In the context it was written, it was clear that Phaedrus was not exactly
> jumping for joy at the outcome. He is mixed between sorrow at Lila' departure
> and happiness for his freedom. Notably, the happiness is a RATIONALISATION
> that gives us AFTER Lila has already decided to leave him.

Well, actually he was jumping for joy--almost:

"He stood on a mound of sand beside some juniper bushes and said
"Ahhhhh!' He threw out his arms. Free! No idols, no Lila, no Rigel, no
New York, no more American even. Just free!"

Sounds to me like pure emotion, not rationalization.

How's that essay coming? Have you had a chance yet to read John
Beasley's latest?

Platt