----- Forwarded message from "F. James Rohlf" -----

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:23:51 -0400
From: "F. James Rohlf"
Subject: RE: TPSsoftware
To: morphmet@morphometrics.org

Exactly which results are different?

Re-aligning aligned specimens does not yield identical results. There are small difference because by default the aligned specimens have been projected into the tangent space and thus are not identical to their original shapes (especially if shape variation is not small).  If one turns off the projection option in tpsRelw (and thus not project the specimens into the tangent space) then subsequent alignments should yield identical results within rounding error.  One can experiment with this in the tpsRelw software by re-aligning with various options rather than just using the default.

Another potential difference is that the tpsRelw software has an option to align the specimens to a PCA rotation of the consensus configuration. The tpsPLS software differs in that this option is on by default but in tpsRelw you have to select that option. Using the default options  could result in the specimens differing by a rotation – but one should not interpret results sensitive to differences in rotation.

F. James Rohlf, John S. Toll Professor, Stony Brook University

The much revised 4th editions of Biometry and Statistical Tables are now available:

http://www.whfreeman.com/Catalog/product/biometry-fourthedition-sokal

http://www.whfreeman.com/Catalog/product/statisticaltables-fourthedition-rohlf