Hello,

While I do not have a lot of experience Micro Scribing personally, others in my
lab (Steppan, FSU) have and I did training sessions with a previous graduate
student who had micro scribed rodent skulls.

In short yes it works fine. In long the accuracy depends on two conditions the
resolution of the scribe and the stability of the specimen in relation to the
scribe stand. I.e. the specimen should remain unmoving which presents an issue
for smaller fragile specimens.  The grad student ho was doing this work
experiments with a number of mediums to stabilize the specimen and found that
clay allowed good reshapable stability (taking specimen in and out) as well as
repositioning (dorsal vs ventral aspect). Things to look for is a clay that
leaves very little color or oil residue, and is solid at room temp (but
malleable is warmed from the hands).

Mount the scribe and secure the skull and you should be good to go!

Feel free to email me if you have other questions or specifics.
-Carl Saltzberg