Hi Rosie,
I feel your pain in being told to comply with a way of teaching reading that
does not make sense for your children or you, and then being expected to be
held accountable for student achievement.   NCLB, Reading First,
administrators,
and dictators can't have both.

I have read more of your postings and understand you MUST use the basal in
the order in which it is given.   Years ago (25 maybe?), when I used a basal in
fourth grade, we grouped the children in three classes of high medium and low.
  The low group was taught using a 2nd grade reader because they just
couldn't read the grade level text.   The next year I looped up to fifth grade
and
was told that these same children would be taught from the grade level text.
got the low kids that were two years behind.   We used the basal, we read
every story together, we did most of the workbook pages together, and we talked
lot about vocabulary and meaning in context.    That group of fifth graders
made the highest gains in standardized test scores I have ever seen.   Many
jumped two and three years in reading growth.   I did very little "grading" and
lot of teaching, explaining and telling.   The kids were helped and helped to
read and comprehend until they didn't need my help.   There were many words
that couldn't be sounded out easily so I just told them the pronunciations.   I
have a new respect for what children can learn when they are given enough
help.   Plus, we did NO TEST PREP!

In your third group, let the children find answers together and cooperatively
to the worksheets that must be completed.   That can be your product.    At
the end of the reading period perhaps all groups can discuss the reasoning
behind how they got answers.   Reading does not have to be something hard to
learn.

Since you can use trade books, fill your room with wonderful books for read
aloud and pleasure reading and let children read during other times of the day
like the last 20 minutes, or just after lunch.   Let them check out books from
your library to take home, and share highlights of special books during
morning meeting so others may know of good books they may want to read.   As
for
AR, I don't read books because of the level of difficulty, but because I want
read them.   Sometimes those books are easy children's books that make me
laugh or cry, sometimes they are professional books I don't completely
understand
but plow through anyway, and sometimes they are adult novels that I read
because they are just plain interesting, exciting, thought provoking,
hilarious,
or intriguing.    Adults don't read on AR levels.   There are no AR levels in
libraries or bookstores.   How will children ever learn to choose books well if
they are restricted in making choices?   Oh well.   I know I 'm preaching to
the choir.

I hope you are beginning to find ways to teach reading that fit with your
ideas.   Stand up to your literacy coach with the district framework, letting
her
know you have a right to use novels and tradebooks.
Hang in there,
Ruby