I'm also teaching grade 2 after teaching 4th for many years. We're in
our 6th week and I feel finally getting into true independent reading.
I do just as you're thinking, I do my gR groups while the rest of the
students are engaged in reading (no centers). They're either reading or
responding in their reading response notebooks (1x weekly). I still get
in some conferencing between GR groups while I peruse the room-I find
that is key for keeping these younger ones on task! Keep checking in on
how they're doing. I try to get in about 2 share times a week after
reading so students can do book talks. I can't do it daily.
Linda/2/OH