Hi,
I think listening to children read is crucial at all elementary  levels.  If
more teachers listened to their children, checked  fluency and saw if they
were using fix-up skills, then we would have  less students who need
remediation.
 I always thought that teachers should  be listening to children during
guided reading and as they become more  proficient, release them to more silent
reading.  The problem lies there;  teachers quit listening!  Also, most
children
enjoy reading out loud in  small groups, even intermediate grades.  They beg
to read, if you have  them at the right level and in a supportive environment.
You also do  not have to read every paragraph out loud.  You have them read
the  paragraph where they found text evidence to something someone questioned
and  then use it for discussion. Many times this is inferential. They like
being like  everyone else.  So the answer I would give to the first grade is
gradually release them, but keep listening, just make it purposeful for you and

the reader. Everything in balance!
Marsha